[Frequently Asked Questions]
|SPECCY RESOURCES - CONVERSIONS
This page last updated on 11 Aug 2000
- Borgar Waade Remakes
page lists games which have had new versions made of them. See the Essential Sites
section for more details.
- 3D Ant Attack
is a freeware update of Ant Attack for Windows 3.x (but without
any grenades :-().
- Paul Howard has produced a Win32 version of Pete Cooke's A Whole New Ball Game;
also available here are a couple of his Speccy programs.
- Chris Young has a whole load of different versions of the fabulous
Advanced Lawnmower Simulator on his page.
is Chris Wild's Spectrum page, which has PC conversions of Lords Of Midnight
and Doomdark's Revenge, as well as the Spectrum Games Data Format Service,
which contains information on the data formats used by various games.
- Anarchy is
Thomas Harte's 3D update of Chaos.
- Andy's Page has great
versions of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy for the PC, as
well as some games and a graphics ripping utility.
by Matthew Smith (not that Matthew Smith...) is a Win95 update
- Bill Witts has done a Java version of
- Boulder Rush
is a BoulderDash update.
- Chaga is an update of Virus
for the PC, but it works only with a 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card, which
I'm not fortunate enough to own :-(.
- Dave's ZX Spectrum Zone has
another DOS/Windows remake of Jet Set Willy.
- Craig Rothwell's Depository
has PC conversions of Jet Set Willy and the never-released
Great Giana Sisters as well as PC, Gameboy and Color Gameboy
versions of Jumping Jack. Then to top it all off, there's his
£5 CD of World of Spectrum.
- DirectX Chuckie Egg
is one of the more obviously titled pages around. Needs Win 9x/NT.
- Elite Legacy,
by Paul Johnstone, is one of a number of Elite updates around.
- Graham Thurlwell's The Elite Project
is the next of those Elite updates.
- Final Sprint is a Super Sprint update.
- Stephen Smith, for reasons best known to himself (and probably
involving small furry animals), has knocked up Java Chaos!.
Yes, you too can battle wizards just like in, er, Chaos.
- John Elliot has his 128K version of Jet Set Willy
available, along with his level editor for it. Also available from
this site is John's Spectrum TrueType font, a patch to let xv
load SCREEN$ files, a couple of Win9x startup screens, and a Gooey
Blob (from Chaos) screensaver.
- JetPacDX is a
port to the (Color) Gameboy, and it's apparently rather good!
- Kev Ellis' pages
have his update of Styx as well as an interview with Matthew Smith.
already has Watman, a Batman remake for DOS and Linux, and will
hopefully have his Head Over Heels remake sometime soon :-).
- James Purbrick has created Law,
a Java version of the classic Chaos; play it online here.
- There area couple of versions of Commando available from
the Lost Patrol Homesite.
(See under Downloads | Misc).
- Manic Miner 32
is a Win 9x/NT version of... work it out!
- Stuart Brady's Manic Miner:
for either DOS or Linux.
- Millenium 3, by
Anti-Matter Productions, is another Elite update.
- Mostly Harmless,
by Andrew Bainbridge and Mark Forrester: another Elite update.
- There are DOS versions of Jetpac and Atic Atac
available from Stuart Collier's Past Projects
- There are CP/M, DOS and Win32 versions of Arctic's Planet of Death available here.
is Robin Burrows' start at converting Jet Set Willy to Java.
- Fifth Dimension Software have made a PC port of the Mastertronic
- Paul Bieles has an updated version of Repton
available for you all to play.
- Arjan de Lang has made Repton ADL,
an update for DOS. Currently in Beta.
- Repton3 for DOS.
Another one which shouldn't take too much brain power to work out what it is!
- RetroSpec is a home for
coders of 8-bit remakes, and already includes John Dow's updates of
The Birds and the Bees, Cookie, Headbanger's Heaven, Pssst! and
Splat!, Rich Jordan's Klass of '99 (an update of Skool Daze), Andy
Noble's versions of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy and Neil Walker's
Jumping Jack. Now also available is Turmoil,
an update of `Chaos', but this doesn't appear to be linked from the
main pages for some reason.
- Denis Fuenzalida has made Rex Remix,
for both DOS and Linux (with X11). The page is all in Spanish, but I
think you should be able to work out what you want...
- The Sabre Wulf PC page is Jeff Braine's work-in-progress port.
- Skool Daze 2000.
What might this be an update of? :-)
- There is a 3D version of Chuckie Egg available from Steve McCrea's page.
- Peter Ekberg has updated Thrust.
Versions are available for Unix (multiple variants), the Amiga, and Win 9x/NT.
- Peter Hanratty is making WulfRyder, an update of Knight Lore for the PC.
is an update of Cybernoid by Tero Turtiainen.
This FAQ is maintained by Philip Kendall;
distribution is permitted only under the conditions specified in the
for this FAQ: http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~pak/cssfaq/index.html.